RABBI FRANKLIN AND HIS THANKSGIVING SERVICE
The Interdenominational Community Thanksgiving Service was founded in 1902 by Dr. Leo M. Franklin, Rabbi of Temple Beth El in Detroit, Michigan from 1899-1941. The first service, called “A Citizens’ Interdenominational Thanksgiving Service”, was held on November 27, 1902, in the Detroit Opera House. An account in the Detroit News stated that a capacity crowd attended this first service, “every seat from gallery to parquet being filled. The service ran for over 50 years and claimed to be one of the oldest such community services in the country.